‘How Tope Alabi became my accidental back-up singer’


Abiola Alabi, also professionally known as Abiola Goodnews, is a renowned gospel musician, composer and entrepreneur. She achieved international recognition with her recent album ‘Possibility’ which was well received throughout Nigeria with singles such as ‘Mimo’, ‘Orin Ope’, ‘Tete Dide’ and ‘E go better’. In this encounter with her, she revealed the secret of her successes in the music arena.

 

What then is the uniqueness of this new album?

The album ‘Possibility’ is a mixture of up tempo, highlife music, dance fusion and electronic dance music.

 

Your background?

I was born into the family of Oladipupo in Abeokuta, Ogun State; I grew up in Christian household with six siblings. I studied Business Administration and hold various certifications educational regulatory boards including Faculty of secretaries and administrations, London, United Kingdom and British School of Commerce. I worked in the banking and financial sector for several years. I am happily married.

 

What about your interest in music. How did you start?

My interest in music started at a tender age of eight when I joined the choir at my local church, St. Timothy Anglican church, Sango Ota. There I developed a genuine passion for music and music performance. In my early years, I listened to various prominent musicians whilst in pursuit of my educational and professional excellence, I earned various accolades both in primary and secondary schools as great singer and show stopper.

 

What next?

I was a music director for several years and also led various musical organizations. I rose to prominence in 1998 with the release of my first album titled ‘Mo so pe’, my stage act is characterised by skilful dancing and melodious compositions.

 

What type of gospel music do you do?

My musical style is called Highlife which originated in Ghana early in the 20th century. It is characterised by multiple drum kits, guitars, Jazzy horns, talking drums and up tempo, synth- driven sound melodies.

 

What about your wave making album?

Have released five albums prior to my 2017 album. In fact, the wave making gospel music act, Tope Alabi was once backed me up during the production of one of my albums.This was made possible through her husband who once produced my album.

 

Where do you hope to see yourself in years to come?

I hope to be at the top of my game and I want to preach the gospels of my music across the globe though have ministered at various churches, concerts and events in Africa and Europe, but I still want to do more.